WHAT IS CYBERKNIFE™ STEREOTACTIC RADIOSURGERY?
The CyberKnife™ system is a radiosurgery device with a linear accelerator (LINAC), which produces the radiation, mounted on a robotic arm. Through the use of image guidance cameras, the CyberKnife™ system locates the position of the tumor. The LINAC attached to the robotic arm is then used to deliver multiple beams of radiation that converge at the tumor site. Thus, the tumor receives a concentrated dose of radiation while minimizing exposure to surrounding normal tissue. With sub-millimeter accuracy, the CyberKnife™ is used to treat vascular abnormalities, tumors, functional disorders, and cancers of the body. It is now being used for tumors in the lung, prostate and liver.
HOW DOES CYBERKNIFE™ STEREOTACTIC RADIOSURGERY WORK?
Multiple radiation beams enter the body from different targeting positions and angles. All the beams intersect within the tumor or lesion where the cumulative dose is high enough to destroy the cancer cells.
Treatment room configuration
- 1) Image Guidance
- 2) LINAC mounted on robotic arm
- 3) Image Guidance
Multiple radiation beams enter the body from different targeting positions and angles.
HOW IS THE CYBERKNIFE™ SYSTEM DIFFERENT FROM OTHER STEREOTACTIC RADIOSURGERY SYSTEMS?Firstly, the CyberKnife™system uses the combination of a robotic arm, LINAC, and image guidance. Because of the flexibility of the robotic arm, the system is able to reach areas of the body that are unreachable by other radiosurgery systems.
Secondly, unlike most stereotactic radiosurgery systems, the CyberKnife™ system is able to locate the position of the tumor within the body without the use of an invasive stereotactic head frame.
And thirdly, the CyberKnife™ system compensates for patient movement during treatment, constantly ensuring accurate targeting.
TREATMENT DELIVERY OVERVIEW
The CyberKnife™ Stereotactic Radiosurgery System is the only radiosurgery system with:
- a compact 6-MV linear accelerator
- a computer controlled robotic arm with six degrees of freedom
- image guidance that eliminates the need for a rigid stereotactic frame and enables treatment of extra-cranial sites.
COMPARED TO CONVENTIONAL STEREOTACTIC RADIOSURGERY SYSTEMS, THE CYBERKNIFE™ SYSTEM PROVIDES:
- increased access to and coverage of any target volume
- broader range of clinical applications including
- ability to treat lesions in and around the cranium that are unreachable with other systems, for example, in the low posterior fossa and foramen magnum
- enhanced ability to avoid critical structures
- capability to treat lesions in the neck and spine
- ability to treat larger tumors
- ability to treat tumors that are inoperable
- ability to treat lesions throughout the body
- delivery of highly conformal dose distributions
- option of fractionating treatment
- potential to target multiple tumors at different locations during a single treatment
WHAT ARE THE PATIENT BENEFITS?
- Better quality of life during and after treatment
- Improved comfort due to the elimination of the invasive head frame
- Short hospital stay
- Few visits to hospital
- Short recovery period
- Treatment is available for tumors considered inoperable by other surgery and stereotactic radiosurgery methods
- Reduces the risk of complications such as infections, hemorrhage, and the loss of hearing and feeling that are sometimes associated with conventional surgery
- Patient scans can be scheduled at patient’s convenience day(s) before treatment
- Stereotactic radiosurgery treatment of neurological diseases is usually covered by Medicare and most private insurance companies
- Stereotactic radiosurgery offers patients better quality of life during and after treatment
- Improved comfort due to the elimination of an invasive head or body frame
- Short hospital stays, if any, or usually performed as an out-patient procedure
WHAT IS THE CYBERKNIFE™ SYSTEM USED TO TREAT?
The CyberKnife™ system is used to treat, but is not limited to, the following tumors, lesions, and conditions.
TUMORS AND LESIONS
- Primary (e.g., astrocytomas, carcinomas, gliomas, lung, pancreas)
- Metastases (brain and bony)
- Acoustic neuromas
- Pituitary adenomas
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVM’s)
- Cavernous malformations
- Trigeminal neuralgia
Extracranial Tumors and Lesions
- Base of skull
- Cervical Spine
- Thoracic Spine
- Lumbar Spine
- Other lesions, tumors, and conditions anywhere in the body when radiation treatment is indicated
THE PATIENT’S EXPERIENCE DURING A TYPICAL CYBERKNIFE™ RADIOSURGERY PROCEDURE
The patient is scheduled for a convenient visit to the treatment center for a planning session in Los Angeles County. This will require creating a custom molded immobilization device. This simple immobilization device assists in keeping the patient still during treatment and is quite painless. A CT and possible MRI are performed for treatment planning purposes. After the imaging studies, the patient returns home. Some patients will require special markers called fiducials to be placed prior to the initial setup. If the patient is undergoing spine radiosurgery using the CyberKnife™, implantation of gold seed fiducials might be necessary. This procedure is also done on an outpatient basis.
Patient receives the first treatment, which is usually one to two hours, and returns home that day.
If needed, patient receives additional treatment and returns home afterwards. Some patients may require multiple treatments, depending on the size or location of the lesion.
Stereotactic radiosurgery offers patients better quality of life during and after treatment improved comfort due to the elimination of an invasive head or body frame short hospital stays, if any, or usually performed as an outpatient procedure in Los Angeles.
If you want to schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Christopher Duma, or for further information about CyberKnife™ radiosurgery in Los Angeles, please register on our website. Also, you can reach us at 949-642-6787.
Quality of LifeRequest an appointment
'I was given a couple of months to live. Dr Duma is brilliant.'
'Thanks to Dr. Duma, my brain tumor has completely diminished.'
'He was knowledgeable and patient when addressing my concerns!'
'I am alive today because of Dr. Duma.'
'The standard of care Dr. Duma offers is stellar. '
'You have extended my life, not only in time, but also the quality of life.'
'He is always concerned for my well-being. I trust him with my life!'