Gamma Knife Radiosurgery | Indications and Results
Shown below there are the Indications and Results of Dr. Christopher Duma’s Personal Gamma Knife Radiosurgery Series in Los Angeles, Orange County, Newport Beach and City of Irvine.
All types of brain tumors may be treated using this technique because it does not rely on variable tissue sensitivity to radiation. All cells within a radiosurgical treatment volume receive a toxic dose of radiation creating cell kill. The DNA is destroyed and so are critical proteins responsible for cell division. However, because the amount of radiation delivered has to be decreased as target size increases, neurosurgeons are limited to treating tumors less than 3 or 4 cm. in average diameter.
Listed below are Dr. Duma’s personal results using Gamma Knife radiosurgery for various pathologies:
- 94% tumor control rate
- 10% edema risk 2% will require surgical removal of tumor for treatment of edema
- 2% risk of permanent injury
Torcular meningioma, prior to, and 14 months after Gamma Knife radiosurgery only
- 98% tumor control rate
- 60% hearing preservation rate.
Acoustic neuroma before, 3 months, and 9 months after Gamma Knife Radiosurgery only
Brain Metastases: (regardless of tissue type)
- 90% tumor control rate
- 6% edema risk
- 2% permanent deficit risk
- 1/50 will require surgical removal despite GK treatment.
- More than one tumor may be treated in one session.
Renal cell carcinoma brain metastasis before and 1 year after Gamma Knife radiosurgery only
Glioblastoma Multiforme: (Astrocytoma Grade 4) and Anaplastic Astrocytomas (Grade 3)
- 93% response rate with median tumor progression free interval of 12 months
- Improvement in overall survival. Synergistic when combined with immunotherapy. Some patients are now more than 8 years from their initial diagnosis treated with this powerful regimen. Patients and their family members of survivors of this disease using this regimen may be contacted.
Glioblastoma Multiforme (Grade 4 astrocytoma) Before and 3 1/2 years post immunotherapy. Biopsies of the residual mass on the right showed only dead, necrotic tissue.
Primary Low Grade Gliomas of the Brain:
- 95% response rate.
- 10-year follow-ups in most patients treated show no evidence of residual tumor.
Craniopharyngiomas, Pituitary Adenomas, Ependymomas, Medulloblastomas, Pineal tumors and other types:
- From 80-98% tumor control rates.
Arteriovenous Malformations: (AVMs):
- 80% complete obliteration by 2 years
- 6% complication rate
- 3% permanent complication rate, (stroke, or sustained neurologic deficit).
Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) before, and 2 years after Gamma Knife radiosurgery
Tremor of Parkinson’s Disease (Gamma Knife thalamotomy)
- 80% Good to excellent relief of tremor occurring within 3 months of treatment
Trigeminal Neuralgia: (Tic Doulereux)
- 85% Good to excellent relief of pain
- 55% are pain-free off all medication. The rest are pain free with lowered dosages of medications.
- The effect of treatment takes an average of 4 weeks to occur post Gamma Knife.
- 8% risk of sensory loss on the face.
- Near zero risk of anesthesia dolorosa.
The patient’s trigeminal nerve accurately targeted for a Gamma Knife radiosurgery treatment.
If you wish to make a consultation appointment with Dr. Duma, or for further information regarding indications and results of the Gamma Knife radiosurgery, please register on our website. You can also call us at 949-642-6787.
Quality of LifeRequest an appointment
'I was given a couple of months to live. Dr Duma is brilliant.'
'Thanks to Dr. Duma, my brain tumor has completely diminished.'
'He was knowledgeable and patient when addressing my concerns!'
'I am alive today because of Dr. Duma.'
'The standard of care Dr. Duma offers is stellar. '
'You have extended my life, not only in time, but also the quality of life.'
'He is always concerned for my well-being. I trust him with my life!'